A Veil for a Bachelorette’s “Hen Night”

My little sis recently had a bachelorette weekend as she’s getting hitched in a few months. I made her a veil. Since she loves chickens, and since ‘Hen party’ is a synonym for ‘Bachelorette party’, I took my cue from a hen. The beaded tiara is red, like a hen comb, and there are little feathers on top of the veil. I made the veil short since my sis is not one for long flowy veils. She loved it!

August 15, 2012 at 11:30 am Leave a comment

Wrap skirt, about 2 sizes ago

I found this photo on Facebook… I made this skirt several years ago before i had this blog, and when I was 2 sizes larger. Worth posting up as I think the pic and skirt is cute! It is made with a vintage Hollywood pattern in some bright red synthetic linen. I had to shorten the length to get it to my preferred knee level. It was the first time I’d used hem tape and I had to sew the hem by hand.


August 15, 2012 at 11:16 am Leave a comment

Ironing Board Cover

Catching up on posting some pics of things I’ve done in the last 2 years… done quite a few but I only have pics of a few, unforch- tsk tsk. Here is a brand new ironing board cover and pad I made up just before I moved out of my old apartment in summer 2011.
Board itself is about half a century old (grandma’s) and the cover was nasty and padding was falling apart and sticking to metal. The only thing bought specifically for this was the insulbrite (silvered batting). I used an old woolen blanket for extra padding and very bright green/purple fabric in stash. (Very bright! Pic does not show it, alas…) Now it really feels like my very own board. On to the good sewing now!

August 15, 2012 at 10:53 am Leave a comment


What I did in the last couple weeks:

three valentines 2011

Ongoing: 2010 BJP will now be a 2011 BJP as well since the last half of 2010 just got away with me. Determined to get this done! On Hour Six now: purple, blue, white.

February 20, 2011 at 12:49 am Leave a comment

Newest Dress: Simplicity 2591

Me with the family at bro's grad... fam faces replaced by Eleanor of Aquitaine, Genghis Khan, and Henry David Thoreau

As I mentioned in the post about the dinosaur skirt, I am on a no spender bender for clothes, even from the thrift store (excepting knits, which I do not sew!)

I really wanted a cute new summer dress for several upcoming events including my brother’s graduation. I fell in love with the 2591 dress pattern from Simplicity.

I did make some changes: I wanted a V-neck but not the gathers that pattern comes with. So, I made a new bodice section by taking the underlining pattern and converting the v-neck bodice to a gather-free one. I used a stretchy belt I already had instead of making a new belt. I like my version a lot. It wrinkles way too easily for my taste, but with basically free fabric and a couple hours of time, to get a dress that fits and I like a lot, wrinkles are an acceptable tradeoff!

June 11, 2010 at 5:35 pm Leave a comment

Gah, it’s June?! Gotta finish May first!

I’ve done April’s Bead Journal quadrilateral. Not sure how I like it, but I’m moving on! May is still in the works. I think I’ll add 2 dots of red somewhere. Photos are still crappy, but at least they are not from the laptop cam this time! Hahaha.


May- stylized 5 in silver bullion fringe

APRIL (bad, bad pic…. shiny beads don’t play well with flash)

April, 4 pencils spewing 4 colors

Using a jar lid to simulate the future ‘clock face’, all together now so far, we have….
all monthly BJPs so far

June 11, 2010 at 5:20 pm 2 comments

The (roaring) Dinosaur Skirt

My new favorite skirt, made from dinosaur print fabric found in the bin a the thrift shop, some batik in my stash, and modifying Simplicity 3877 to be a skirt. I like this skirt a lot although it might be a bit loud (hah), and have worn it 2-3 times already.

This is my first garment made during the current self-imposed moratorium on boughten clothing. Any clothing I want or need, I will sew myself from my big ‘ol fabric stash… excepting knits, like underwear (because I don’t have much experience sewing knits), and really cool vintage items of course.

Dinosaur skirt

I have made up 3877’s dress in view D before…. it is unfortunately a UFO now though, because I chose some holiday fabric and never got it done on time. I liked the swirly skirt though so I decided to adapt the skirt portion. I do need to figure out the best way to insert godets- once again I ignored Simplicity’s directions because I hate inserting gores after sewing both skirt portions together, and sewed one side to each skirt bit and then sewed the other skirt bit to both, but it still seems to be hanging a little oddly. Not enough to be awfully noticeable though!

Pattern mods: I nixed the top, shortened the skirt & the godets, and made a waistband. Also had to take in the skirt a bit at the waist. I made a facing and used 3 buttons instead of a zipper.

May 3, 2010 at 2:44 pm 1 comment

Older Posts

Dabblerwocky Tweets

Recent Posts