Posts tagged ‘orange’

Buttercup Bag

Ok, while in Asheville waiting for the madness of the Edible Festival, I went fabric shopping. At Asheville Cotton Company, as I was checking out, I chanced to see a fat quarter of gorgeous orange print. I bought it. And this is what I did with it over the last 2 days:

null

Pattern from Made By Rae’s blog

I lined with green cotton recycled from a 50 cent thrift store men’s j.crew shirt I had previously cannibalized for buttons. I am a big fan of symmetry when possible, so I paid extra attention to the pattern layout and pleating. I did a itty bitty box pleat in the middle and pleats facing it on each side, instead of having all pleats facing one direction. I also inserted the straps at the same time I sewed the lining and outer together.

Now, the original pattern called for magnetic closures or buttons. I decided to go ambitious with a zipper. And man was this zipper was a beeyotch to get in. =_=
I used some directions from U-handbag.typepad.com, and patted myself on the back for doing pretty well… until it came time to stitch the lining and outer together. Oh my lawd. My advice? Don’t put in a zipper unless you are prepared to be the source of lots of bad language. After much swearing at the machine and the bag, I finally got it sewn up, and gave a big sigh of relief, only to turn it inside out and discover I had accidentally inserted and sewn one side of the strap so it went under the zipper. *eye twitch*

I still need to topstitch the upper edge since it buckles a bit despite all the interfacing I added, which I will do. Eventually. Whew. But on the plus side… new ORANGE bag, experience with zipper insertion, learning what interfacing works and does not work (next time I use soft sew-in interfacing, not crispy!)

Advertisements

April 7, 2009 at 10:16 pm Leave a comment


Dabblerwocky Tweets

Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.

Recent Posts