Posts tagged ‘pattern mods’

Newest Dress: Simplicity 2591

Me with the family at bro's grad... fam faces replaced by Eleanor of Aquitaine, Genghis Khan, and Henry David Thoreau

As I mentioned in the post about the dinosaur skirt, I am on a no spender bender for clothes, even from the thrift store (excepting knits, which I do not sew!)

I really wanted a cute new summer dress for several upcoming events including my brother’s graduation. I fell in love with the 2591 dress pattern from Simplicity.

I did make some changes: I wanted a V-neck but not the gathers that pattern comes with. So, I made a new bodice section by taking the underlining pattern and converting the v-neck bodice to a gather-free one. I used a stretchy belt I already had instead of making a new belt. I like my version a lot. It wrinkles way too easily for my taste, but with basically free fabric and a couple hours of time, to get a dress that fits and I like a lot, wrinkles are an acceptable tradeoff!

Advertisements

June 11, 2010 at 5:35 pm Leave a comment

The (roaring) Dinosaur Skirt

My new favorite skirt, made from dinosaur print fabric found in the bin a the thrift shop, some batik in my stash, and modifying Simplicity 3877 to be a skirt. I like this skirt a lot although it might be a bit loud (hah), and have worn it 2-3 times already.

This is my first garment made during the current self-imposed moratorium on boughten clothing. Any clothing I want or need, I will sew myself from my big ‘ol fabric stash… excepting knits, like underwear (because I don’t have much experience sewing knits), and really cool vintage items of course.

Dinosaur skirt

I have made up 3877’s dress in view D before…. it is unfortunately a UFO now though, because I chose some holiday fabric and never got it done on time. I liked the swirly skirt though so I decided to adapt the skirt portion. I do need to figure out the best way to insert godets- once again I ignored Simplicity’s directions because I hate inserting gores after sewing both skirt portions together, and sewed one side to each skirt bit and then sewed the other skirt bit to both, but it still seems to be hanging a little oddly. Not enough to be awfully noticeable though!

Pattern mods: I nixed the top, shortened the skirt & the godets, and made a waistband. Also had to take in the skirt a bit at the waist. I made a facing and used 3 buttons instead of a zipper.

May 3, 2010 at 2:44 pm 1 comment


Dabblerwocky Tweets

Recent Posts